Friday, July 16, 2010

Life Started Here

Well, all those people turned out to be right. It had only been a few hours until I realized this was the most wonderful experience of my life. I couldn't get enough of the little guy. Everything about him was so cute. His hair, little birthmark, cry, everything.

After a few hours it was time to settle into my "permanent" room. The nurses lifted me into bed for the night (since I had zero function of my lower body.) Freakiest experience was trying to move my toes and watching intently as NOTHING happened. That first night I was in so much pain that it was hard to hold him. All I could do was look at him. Even though Levi slept virtually all night I kept wanting to check to see if he was breathing and moving. How can anyone sleep with such an amazing creature lying in a little plastic box next to them. Is this on purpose. Seriously, the last night I had a chance to get a good night sleep was ruined with excitement. I loved when it was time to feed him. Judson would come and hand him to me so that I could try to breastfeed. I thought I was so successful after having him latch on for a few minutes. Come to find out that he really wasn't eating enough. A few more days of practice took care of that. I was so lucky to have friends and family there to help me take an excruciating walk around the hospital floor, help me to the bathroom, bring me food, oh and change those dirty diapers. Our experience in the hospital was one I will never forget. Had I had the choice I think I would have stayed forever!

Our goodbye gift from the nurse was one last bath before we were on our own. What will life be like with our new little family? Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment