Thursday, July 29, 2010

Roll Over Red Rover

So the greatest thing in my life happened last night. I know, you must be thinking that I won the lottery, or was given a huge prize, or something super cool that most other people would prefer. I had been waiting and cheering Levi on for days. All of the other babies in our Mommy and Me class seem to be rolling over and for weeks! My niece, the one who is seven weeks younger has been doing it for days. Why couldn't my son? I had always told myself that I would practice what I preach (so much easier said than done.) I tell parents all the time that their child will achieve that MILESTONE when they are ready, not when we are.

Well, last night after a day of coaxing, turning him over myself, and helping him roll downhill on the couch, it happened. We went to my mom's house for dinner. I figured I would put him on his tummy for a bit before dinner. Before long he had gotten himself on his side. I got so excited that I started stuffing burp clothes to his left because if he WERE to roll over he would smack his head. Then the cheering began...."come on, come on." He would start to push himself off then fall right back down. Then the big moment. He did it. He got all the way over. We cheered so loudly that I think we may have scared the living daylights out of him.

That was truly the most exciting thing that has happened in recent history. Now I have to wait for it to happen again so that I can be reassured that it wasn't a mistake.

1 comment: